In any type of undertaking you need positive self talk at all times. Job interview, competition, exam etc you always need to tell yourself that you are going to do great and that you feel great.
From a fighters perspective, a few days prior to a fight all fighters go through weight cuts. Now this involves very little fat in your diet…actually nevermind it is the skinny anorexic models diet! haha but ok all jokes aside its a pretty shitty time. Especially because you cant eat what you want to eat and whatever you are eating you cannot have too much of it. Anyways its a ton of pressure on your mind and your mood will take a killing in the process. A simple fix. Positive Self Talk! A very simple exercise of just saying positive sentences to yourself. These sentences could be as simple as “I am feeling great today!” Thats it!
This has had profound effects on me the past few days. It may seem alittle odd at first but believe me it will change your whole day.
One positive thought in the beginning of your day will determine how the rest of your day goes.
For many athletes and whoever lives an active lifestyle elbow pain/elbow joint pain is a common injury. This can be extremely annoying especially if your job includes you throwing punches. In a fight even an inch matters. This could dictate where the fight goes and whether you leave the cage/ring unscathed with your hand raised or the other option….but we won’t even talk about that other option.
Cause Of Injury
Most of the time this injury happens because of over-use of the elbow joint. I punch alot. I’m constantly throwing some sort of punches here and there…sometimes just walking around my house I’m still punching imaginary opponents in front of me. This injury goes by a few names some of them are Golfers Elbow & Tennis Elbow. It does not just affect fighters, golfers or tennis players. Any repetitive wrist, hand or forearm movement has the potential to cause this injury.
Pain & inflammation on the inner side of your elbow will occur, where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to the bony part on inside of your elbow.
Your elbow may feel stiff and it may hurt to make a fist.
Numbness or tingling. This sensation may radiate into your fingers.
You may not be able to extend your arm full due to the muscles contracting constantly.
- Complete Rest: If you’re getting this type of injury majority of the time you’re probably over-training. Get some rest. Relax for 2-3 days and see how you feel. Learn to listen to your body.
- Physiotherapy; Massage: Go to an RMT (registered massage therapist) and get him to work on the muscles surrounding your elbow. Over time scar tissue begins to develop and an RMT will be able to break it down.
- Fil Oil: Omega 3 Fatty Acids that are in fish oil have been shown to reduce inflammation and even pain. Fish oil also reduces morning stiffness and tenderness.
- Stretching Exercises: Stretching is vital to everything. I stretch every single day. I didn’t always do that….and then I got a sever back injury. This taught me a very valuable lesson so I can’t stress it enough. Stretching is extremely IMPORTANT! Below I will show you some stretching exercises that have worked for me and still do to this day regarding elbow pain.
The last stretching exercise an important thats not shown in the picture is that while you’re doing this stretch your back is straight, shoulders are rounded backwards and your chest is puffed out. This stretch is more for your chest muscles. When these muscles are tight they can also affect the elbow joint. Remember the whole body is connected.
- I strongly recommend ordering this fish oil. It tastes great doesn’t leave an after taste in your mouth and its way better quality than most fish oils on the market.